Saturday, January 10, 2009

One of our New Years resolutions...

So, Shawn and I decided that for a New Years Resolution, we would try a new recipe every week. We get tired of the same things all of the time, and we don't have the kind of time to try something new every day, so once a week it is, although it may be that we do more than one a week.
For example, last week we did three new recipes (although two barely count as they were for different flavors of popcorn). I also decided to post up the ones that we liked so that if you are at all interested, you can have them, too! Also, I may on occasion post recipes of my own favorites, mostly for myself so that I have a digital version of them...but that it is only if I have the time and feel like it! So, here you go!
Sopa Tuscana (Tuscan Soup)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 6 potato, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed

DIRECTIONS

  1. Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through. Mix the spinach into the soup just before serving.
The result: We really liked this soup, although we didn't even bother trying to give some to the kids- if there aren't noodles in a soup, they inherently don't like it. Plus I got a *little* bit heavy handed with the red pepper flakes, so it was a bit spicy. Also, we did the spinach thing, but it didn't really add to the soup, nor have a strong flavor, so when I had leftovers, I didn't bother with it and they came out wonderfully. Will we ever have this again- you bet!!!

Key Lime Popcorn
Ingredients:
1 T fresh lime juice
2 T freshly grated lime zest
1 T fren colored sugar
1/4 t salt
1/3 c coursely chopped grahm crackers

1/4 c popcorn, 1/4 c oil, 1/4 c sugar

Mix the first 5 ingredients and set aside. Put oil, popcorn, and sugar in Whirley Pop stovetop popper and cook- spinning the whole time. When it is done popping, pour the lime mixture over it and mix well.
The restult: This was okay. It was very limey, but also kind of salty sweet, but I don't think I will make it again...

Marshmallow Peppermint Popcorn:
1/2 c finely crushed peppermint candy canes
1 c mini marshmallows
1/4 t salt
1/4 c popcorn, 1/4 c oil, 1/4 c sugar

Mix the first 3 ingredients and set aside. Make the popcorn and pour the marshallow and candy cane mixture over the popcorn and stir well- the marshmallows will melt into the popcorn and be yummy!
The result- we really liked this...but probably save it for a Christmas treat!

2 comments:

Zoey said...

GREAT resolution idea, you guys! I will look forward to seeing the recipes and hearing the feedback about what works. I am considering doing a traveling recipe book with my Dillman side of the family (my dad's sisters and the cousins on that side). This would be a book that I start and I would paste in the front cover all of our addresses and the order it's sent so you add a recipe and your feedback and then pass it along. If I ever can get going on it, I'll be sure to post some of the fabulous recipes that my cooking-enthusiast relatives find or create themselves!

Cazier Craziness said...

Good resolution. I think we will all benefit all of us!