Monday, February 9, 2009

Last Week's and This week's new recipies...

For last week:
We found this recipe on the back of a Junior Mints Minis box that Shawn got for christmas (of all places):
Junior Mints Mini's No Bake cheese cake:
1 oreo pie crust
1 pkg cream cheese
1/3 c sugar
1/2 pkg whipped topping (4 0z)
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 pkg Junior Mints Mini's (divided)

On High speed whip cheam cheese, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Blend in whipped topping until fully incorporated. Fold in 3 oz of Junior Mints Mini's. Spread mixture over pie crust. cover and chill if refrigerator 4 hours. sprinkle top with rest of Jr Mint's mini's just before serving.

The result: actually this is halved from what it called for. It called to make your own crust, but I just don't have time for that, and it is actually cheaper to buy the crust than it is to make it when you consider what you pay for the ingredients! So, my sister made this for me (shelley and her kids have been visiting over the past week, it has been TONS of fun!) while I was working on other things- I think it turned out pretty darn good, I love mint, chocolate and cheese cake, which this satisfied all of these cravings!!!

This weeks recipie: Adventures in TURKEY!
Yes, yestereday I made my first turkey (finally!!!) I thought it turned out pretty good, although the texture wasn't what I had hoped for, just not as juicy and tender as I like, but I didn't have a meat thermometer, so the only way I had to make sure it was done was to kinda overcook it, so there you go! It wasn't hard, actually, although I followed the direcitons from the box for the stuffing and I didn't love it, I think I need to get Grandma Fullmer's recipie, I love her stuffing. Anyhow, I did What Sherri does that makes the juciest turkey ever, that is to cook it in a Turkey sized oven bag and cook it breast- down. This allows the juices fromt he dark meat of the back to seep down into the breast and make that meat nice and juicy. Sherri makes the best turkey I have had, so this worked pretty well, but as I said, I think I kind of over cooked it, but better that than we all get sick! At any rate, I am glad that I finally did make my own turkey- I have always wanted to, but we always end up eating turkey somewhere else, so finally this was my turn! I am proud of myself!

PS- an extra recipe:
Last week we also made these cookies that I thought were pretty good:
Double Chocolate Mint Cookies:

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 4 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Cream together, butter, sugar and eggs. Mix in remaining ingredients. Blend well.
  3. Drop by teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8-9 minutes. Cookies will be soft. Cool about 1 minute on cookie sheet then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. Recipe Variation: For a different flavor, omit peppermint extract and use a total of 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Also substitute peanut butter flavored chips for the chocolate
What we did: We saw some reviews of these cookies that said they lessened the butter, and it turned out better, so we halved the recipe and did 1 Cup of butter instead of 1 and 1/4. It did turn out well. Also, instead of just choc chips, we did mostly Andes Mint thingys and just a few choc chips for more chocolate-yness! Also, I only did a small dash of peppermint extract instead of the full amount because of the mint chip thingys. (I hope that makes sense.) At any rate- they turned out really well!

1 comments:

Cazier Craziness said...

Wow, you guys are doing awesome at your New Year's resolution!!