Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Our Little Adventure...

So, this morning was like any other morning- although I actually was more on top of things than usual. I gave the kids their baths and was just finished getting them dressed when I heard a high pitched beeping coming from the basement. I went down and saw that our carbon monoxide/explosive gas detector was beeping and giving me a read out.
I did not panic- in fact I felt annoyed; I had this same thing happen to me in Pleasant Grove, twice, and both times it turned out to be nothing. So, I went up and opened some windows- just in case; and looked up the non-emergency number for the fire department. They didn't answer, so I tried it again (I didn't want to call 911), but again it didn't work, so I called 911. They told us to evacuate the house and wait outside for the fire department to come. So, I got the kids in their coats and outside (I got Lucas a bowl of cereal to eat outside since I didn't know how long we would have to wait for them to come and he had to leave for school in 25 minutes from then). I wasn't sure how long we would have to wait, but it was only about 5-10 minutes before the big fire truck came.
The kids were excited to see this huge firetruck pull up in front of our house and while the firemen checked out our house and did their readings, the kids got to see the hose truck and I explained to them how some of it works. Then an ambulance came as well and we got to sit inside of it and stay warm while I showed the kids the exciting features of the ambulance. Then ANOTHER fire truck came- this time a big ladder truck. It was very exciting to see the big trucks, but I felt kind of bad for all of them to come out just for our little gas alarm.
They finished their testing and it turns out that the highest concentration they found was in the garage and it was only 40 ppm (not enough to hurt you unless you sat there for hours breathing in that air and getting in no fresh air), so it was probably just from when Shawn started his car before he left for work. Everything else was fine- which was what I figured. I felt bad, though, that 12 men had to come out just to waste their time. But they assured me that it was fine and they were all very nice and said don't hesitate to call if it happens again- that is what we pay taxes for, right? (Which reminds me, I do still need to send in my state taxes...)
At any rate, crisis averted and we are all safe and sound. I am grateful to have these kind of alarms, but so far I have had 3 false alarms now in 3 years....I am not going to let my guard down and unplug them completely, but it doesn't exactly make me run when I hear it going off....

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Holy Moly! Thats crazy. Fun for the kids though. Glad it was nothing, but I could see why you would be annoyed! Already 3 times, sheesh. Sometime it will be for real!

Ruth said...

Good job being careful, even if it was all for naught. But pretty exciting too. Michelle would die with excitement if a firetruck came to our house. Hopefully for something as non-serious as that, of course. I still need to call you. I'm a slacker.